
(Reuters)
SEOUL, Aug 18 – U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea’s Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
The ministry and USFK did not immediately comment, but the reports came after U.S. President Donald Trump instructed the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” the drills, and said North Korean leader Kim Jong Un had responded to his outreach.
Earlier on Tuesday, South Korean President Lee Jae Myung called for stronger independent defence capabilities, while saying annual civil-defence exercises held alongside the joint military drills were defensive and not intended to threaten North Korea.
Lee said Seoul should proceed without disruption with the planned transfer of wartime operational control from the United States during his term, in line with the government’s existing plan.
“A strong alliance makes the foundation of security stronger, and strengthening our own capabilities increases our value and necessity as an ally,” Lee said in a cabinet meeting, describing the U.S.-South Korea alliance and independent defence as mutually reinforcing.
Lee said maintaining peace was the government’s top priority, but South Korea also needed to prepare for a “worst-case scenario,” underscoring the need for stronger military capabilities of its own.
He also called for faster progress on South Korea’s nuclear-powered submarine programme and for developing officers capable of integrated operations, as distinctions between battlefields become less clear.





Users Today :
Users Yesterday :
This Month :
This Year :
Total Users : 1342143
Views Today :
Total views : 5000
Who's Online :